The start of a new academic year at Swansea Metropolitan University has also seen the beginning of a new faculty. The faculty of Business and Management has begun its life having recently completing a successful validation of its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The essential theme running through all the programmes is the opportunity for lecturers to strike a balance between large scale lectures and small personal tutorial sessions to reinforce learning.
Tutorials are presenting an opportunity for both lecturer and students to engage and discuss ideas. Some(students and lecturers) are thriving in this environment, whilst it would seem others feel exposed. The challenge is to create an environment that maximises a creative and supportive interaction, that meets the needs of all participants involved. Within my own delivery I have been experimenting with tasks, debates and case studies. I have moved students from class rooms, to social learning environments and plan to take students into the field.
What I have observed to date is a willingness by students to engage in tasks if they see the relevance and obvious learning objectives. As a year tutor I have also observed a steady decline in attendance to tutorial sessions across the board as students find them selves waiting around between sessions with little motivation to continue their self directed learning. My own experiences have produced positive sessions especially in relaxed non traditional class room environments.
I am definitely an advocate for the use of tutorials however I feel that teams need to work together to offer creative solutions for this tutorial time and not simply accept a rigid time table of learning in uninspiring environments. The challenge we face as lecturers is to continue to stimulate and motivate learners within these personal sessions whilst allowing constructive use of our time.
No comments:
Post a Comment