sporting ecosystem

sporting ecosystem

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sports Development update - competency frameworks

In a previous update I reflected on the sever lack of confidence in some students when engaging with other professionals and students when delivering programmes. There is  a growing concern by employers that higher education programes are failing to produce students that can operate in a rapidly changing environment (Brindley and Mander, 1996; Skills Active, 2006). Barcelona & Ross (2004) argue that in order to meet the needs of the changing industry, it is imperative for both practitioners and faculty to clearly define a framework of competencies, knowledge areas, and skill sets that support the academic and professional development needs of students. 


I have continued to reflect on this issue across all the activities my final year students have delivered this year and as the group nears the end It may be observed that many have grown and developed and are ready to enter the professional sphere - some already having secured well paid jobs immediately after finishing their last exam. There are many positives but I am still concerned that for some they have not been able to fully develop their professional competencies. The balance of the entire degree is biased to knowledge (what you must know - QAA, 2008) and not competencies (what you must be able to do - Brooks and Althouse, 2007). I feel that my sports management programme moving forward should develop learning outcomes for both these areas in parallel (Brooks and Althouse (2007). I have discussed this with the group and presented competency frameworks based on (Skills Active, 2012) national occupational standards. I asked students to reflect and score themselves (e.g. superior skills, good, underdeveloped), I will follow this with my own assessment as part of the wider assessment framework for the module.   The reaction was interesting - having delivered a programme of work they could engage with the framework and were comfortable in immediately assessing where they may need to improve. For the proactive students this should allow them to continue their development working with their existing or future employers to access further training and development.


References



Barcelona & Ross (2004) An Analysis of the Perceived Competencies of Recreational Sport Administrators Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 22 (4).


Brindley, C. and Mander, P. (1996) Leisure by degree, Leisure Manager, June/July.

Brooks, D.D. & Althouse, R.C. (2007). Diversity and social justice in college sports: Sport management and the student athletes. Morgantown, WV: Fitness Information Technology.


The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (2008) Hospitality, leisure, sport and tourism. QAA.

Skills Active (2006) Analysis of Gaps and Weaknesses, London, Skills Active.

Skills Active (2012) http://www.skillsactive.com/skillsactive/national-occupational-standardshtt accessed May 2012.

1 comment:

  1. It is very difficult when students don't seem to have quite 'got it' despite trying everything you can think of. I haven't come across a simple answer to this and believe me I have looked. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith, while keeping fingers and toes crossed, and hope that when reality hits students quickly adapt. Not a scientific appraoch, I know, but you can't loose sleep or get stressed over something you can't fully control. I've learnt the hard way that all you do is your best but not everything is within your control.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts