sporting ecosystem

sporting ecosystem

Thursday, November 10, 2011

What is Learning?

As I enter in to this new year of teaching I am starting to reflect on the key question of what is learning ?

Hodkinson et al., (2008) suggest that there are significantly different ways of understanding learning and that any understanding relates to how the person is perceived, the nature of reality and the nature of knowledge. My interpretation of this statement is that all teachers need to be aware that there are underlying philosophies that inform understanding. According to authors such as Light, 2008; Brockbank and Magill, 2007 it these underlying philosophies that frame theories, theoretical models, and subsequent practice . Jarvis, (2004) notes that importantly, theory is not value free and cannot be divorced from the wider world of ideology and belief.

It would seem that the core theories of learning are based on assumptions concerning the individual, the world and the relationship between the two (Cushion et al 2010).  Merriam and Cafferella (1999) amongst others typified the variety of learning theories as behaviourist, cognitive, humanist and social, while Brockbank and Magill (2007) collapsed humanist and social theories seeing them simply as constructivist.

My intention is to reflect on these key learning theories over a series of blog posts to explore how they can influence my delivery and to reflect on my own core values and philosophy towards learning.

References

Brockbank, A. & Magill, I. (2007) Facilitating reflective learning in higher education, Second Edition (London, Open University Press.

Hodkinson, P., Biesta, G., & James, D. (2008) Understanding learning culturally: overcoming the dualism between social and individual views of learning, Vocations and Learning, 1, 27-47.

Jarvis, P. (2004) Adult education and lifelong learning: Theory and practice 3rd edition London, Routledge.

Light, R. (2008) „Complex‟ learning theory in physical education: An examination of its epistemology and assumptions about how we learn, Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 27(1), 21-37.

Merriam, S.B. & Caffarella, R.S. (1999) Learning in adulthood 2nd ed (San Francisco, Jossey-Bass

1 comment:

  1. From my experience learning is something that can take place in the classroom, but in order to be meaningful it has to be something that can be taken into real life. Learning should go beyond meeting learning outcomes, assessment criteria or passing tests/exams. The process should be just as important as the product. I know you work really hard with your students to make sure this happens so that they can learn skills they need in order to have a future in their chosen career. I think your students must also benefit from your experience of working in the 'real world'.

    The learning theories we find out about on the course are very useful but it so important to remember that all students are different and therefore learn in different ways. I know this sounds so obvious but many learning theories don't take this into account. As I have progressed through the course I have come to think that the best approach is to be yourself, treat students with respect and vary your approach (to keep the sessions interesting, innovative and appropriate).

    Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts