sporting ecosystem

sporting ecosystem

Monday, November 28, 2011

Could I be a behaviorist? - surely not

It is suggested that behaviourists focus on the outcomes of stimulus, without necessarily attending to social meaning (Brockbank and Magill, 2007) and that all learning can be measured (Armitage et al., 2003). When reflecting on my own teaching I can see opportunities develop students through trial and error (Thorndike, 1928) and initiating key behaviors using the assessment framework to generate the desired actions in what could be described as a stimulus and response (Pavlov, 1927) strategy. I can also recognise that I may be using a form of operant conditioning (Skinner 1951) within my assessment framework where the desired level of work and commitment is shaped by the reward (the grade or feedback), (Jarvis, 2004). Yet within a behaviourist approach, it is argued that learning should be progressed step by step, building on previously learned material (Armitage et al., 2003) and the role of the teacher is to deliver or transmit learning through small simple tasks (Tusting and Barton, 2006). The tasks are practiced repeatedly and positive feedback reinforces the desired behaviour and stimulates motivation for the learner to continue (Tusting and Barton, 2006; Armitage et al., 2003).


Behaviourism therefore assumes cognitive processes are not necessary to explain the acquisition, maintenance and generalisation of behaviour (Schunk, 2009). I cannot subscribe to this pure view of behaviourism but I can see opportunities to use some of the concepts in my teaching with some interesting issues surrounding the ideas of gamification of education (Gee, 2008) - a concept worthy of further research.


References



Armitage, A, Bryant, R, Dunnill, R, Renwick, M., Hayes, D, Hudson, A, Kent, J, & Lawes, S. (2003) Teaching and training in post-compulsory education 2nd edition (Buckingham, Open University Press).


Brockbank, A. & Magill, I. (2007) Facilitating reflective learning in higher education, Second Edition (London, Open University Press).


Pavlov, I.P. (1927) Conditioned reflexes (New York, Oxford University Press)


Gee, J. P. (2008).  Learning and games. In Katie Salen (Ed.) The ecology of games: Connecting youth, games, and learning (John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation series on digital media and learning). 
Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.

Jarvis, P. (2004) Adult education and lifelong learning: Theory and practice 3rd edition (London, Routledge).

Schunk, D.H. (2009) Learning Theories: an Educational Perspective (5th edition) International Edition New York Pearson Prentice Hall.


Skinner, B.F. (1951) „How to teach animals‟, Scientific American, 185(12): 26-29

Thorndike, E.L. (1928) Adult learning (New York, Macmillan).


Tusting, K. & Barton, D. (2006) Models of adult learning: A literature review (Leicester, UK, NIACE).





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts