sporting ecosystem

sporting ecosystem

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cognitive Theory - a step in the right direction

Although I have previoulsy written about my experience and attitudes towards behaviourist theories I also acknowledged that in terms of my own teaching philosophies it was not an effective fit. So this post will highlight my considertion of cognitive approaches. According to Brockbank and Magill, (2007) cognitive theories intend to scrutinise internal mental structures and see learning as transforming those structures. Here Cushion et al (2010) suggest cognitivists relate their theories to the subject matter, and these theories are primarily about acquiring knowledge (Jarvis, 2004). There have according to Cushion et al, (2010) been many cognitive approaches to learning. Gagnes (1985) model for understanding the relationship between learning and instruction proposed that learning is progressively linked to phases within the instructional process. Ausubel (1963) promoted reception learning or instruction. In this case, learning needs to be meaningful and related to the learners existing knowledge (Cushion et al, 2010). This according to Armitage et al., (2003) is achieved through an exposition of the topic by the teacher or instructor that allows the construction of new meaning. Mezirow (1981) is concerned with transformation and focuses on meaning and reflection to develop learning. Jarvis, (2004) suggests that in this instance an individuals construction of reality is transformed as a result of reflecting on experience and plotting new strategies.


The ideas are logical and I certainly support the notion that the learner has to have a meaningful experience and it is the role of the teacher to support this process and encourage reflection to aid learning. However I feel uncomfortable with the notion that the learning environment has to be constructed and engineered in almost a unidimensional fashion by the teacher. I feel the learner should and in many instances does have control of their own learning. I am interested in the ideas and understand why the models associated with cognitivism are popular as many such as Kolb's cycle (Kolb, 1984) assert that learning can result from experience if it is simply organised correctly. However I support the argument that learning cannot always be ordered and models such as the Kolb cycle although logical does not take account the complex aspects of learning experiences (Newman, 1999) .


I am coming to the conclusion that all these ideas provide a potential toolkit to aid my teaching - but I cannot help feeling that students that pass through higher education still do not have the necessary skills to successfully progress into highly complex and pressurised work environments - my challenge as I see it is to develop knowledge and skills through valid experiences.


References


Armitage, A, Bryant, R, Dunnill, R, Renwick, M., Hayes, D, Hudson, A, Kent, J, & Lawes, S. (2003) Teaching and training in post-compulsory education 2nd edition (Buckingham, Open University Press).


Ausubel, D.P. The psychology of meaningful verbal learning: an introduction to school learning (New York, Grune & Stratton).


Brockbank, A. & Magill, I. (2007) Facilitating reflective learning in higher education;Second Edition (London, Open University Press).


Cushion, C. Nelson, L., Armour, K., Lyle, J., Jones, R., Sandford, R.,and O'Callaghan, C. (2010). Coach Learning and Development: A Review of Literature. Sports Coach UK.


Gagné, R.M. (1985) The conditions of learning 4th edition (New York, Holt, Rinehart & Winston).


Jarvis, P. (2004) Adult education and lifelong learning: Theory and practice 3rd edition;(London, Routledge).


Kolb, D. (1984) Experiential learning as the science of learning and development (Englewood Cliffs NJ, Prentice Hall).


Mezirow, J. (1998) On critical reflection, Adult Education Quarterly, 48(3), 185-98.


Newman, M. (1999) Maeler‟s Regard (Sydney, Stewart Victor Publishing).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts