The first term of the 2011- 2012 academic year has proven to be challenging. The initial intensive sessions were comfortable for the class of students used to having information presented to them. They however have initially found it difficult to process that they would not be passively sitting there having me talk at them for six months. There was a air or nervousness that they would be tested not just on their knowledge but also their practical ability to deliver. I have my assessment framework to ensure that students commit to delivering activities, events and services within the university. It is clear I will have to build confidence within the group supporting them to take the giant leap from discussing theory into experimenting with their ideas. For some this seems exciting for others it will be a test. However these students are 6 months away from the start if their long term careers the safety net of education is slipping away and having this opportunity will start that next transition into the professional world. My challenge leading in to the second term is to encourage and support them in delivering action. For many this will be their first time taking the lead on a project so I must remain patient yet ensure they over come their anxieties.
Friday, January 6, 2012
Sports Development Termly update
The first term of the 2011- 2012 academic year has proven to be challenging. The initial intensive sessions were comfortable for the class of students used to having information presented to them. They however have initially found it difficult to process that they would not be passively sitting there having me talk at them for six months. There was a air or nervousness that they would be tested not just on their knowledge but also their practical ability to deliver. I have my assessment framework to ensure that students commit to delivering activities, events and services within the university. It is clear I will have to build confidence within the group supporting them to take the giant leap from discussing theory into experimenting with their ideas. For some this seems exciting for others it will be a test. However these students are 6 months away from the start if their long term careers the safety net of education is slipping away and having this opportunity will start that next transition into the professional world. My challenge leading in to the second term is to encourage and support them in delivering action. For many this will be their first time taking the lead on a project so I must remain patient yet ensure they over come their anxieties.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
In a previous update I reflected on the sever lack of confidence in some students when engaging with other professionals and students when ...
-
As I enter in to this new year of teaching I am starting to reflect on the key question of what is learning ? Hodkinson et al., (2008) sugg...
-
Prompted by the need to complete 15 reflective accounts I recently sat and considered (or was it reflected?) on whether I fully understand t...
-
My students have delivered their first event A faction of proactive students have led the first official event under the LSM (sport and l...
-
I have come to realise that teaching within Higher Education provides a huge challenge in ensuring that we provide our students with the t...
-
Before embarking on the biggest test of my teaching career I sat and tried to positively refocus my feelings of anxiety at the prospect of u...
-
Having just completed my second trip to Finland lecturing within a partnership University. I find myself sitting at the end of another exhau...
-
In a recent blog “Students are they fit for purpose” I commented on the need for students to have a broad and varied range of opportunities ...
-
Having reviewed the tradtional learning theories I can see elements of my teaching that are utilising some of the ideas but I still cannot ...
-
The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills is endorsing a range of ways to help students gain vital international experience from ov...
No comments:
Post a Comment