sporting ecosystem

sporting ecosystem

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thinking about thinking

  The final major pieces of work are complete and although a detailed and focused exercise it has stimulated a major shift in my mindset. Over the past six months I have had several 'ah ha' moments and I feel my journey has only just started. The greatest affect being the process of becoming more self aware and asking questions of my models of thinking - not just my philosophy on teaching but also on how I view the industry. in which I have worked for 18 years.

Tishman et al (1993) would argue as teachers, mentors, lectures it is our role to nurture thinking within our students but I feel that for me this is happening haphazardly with no clear sense of what is truly successful. I have a strong sense of core values which I try to bring to my teaching but I am starting to realise that developing what Richhart et al (2006) describe as thinking and learning routines within the educational environment needs a more holistic strategy.
  
Thinking about thinking (metacogntion) and how to manage the various models of thinking is something I am aiming to spend more time studying. My initial investigations have initiated a landslide of 'ah ha' moments - my very own period of enlightenment.

References

Ritchhart, R., Palmer, P., Church, and M. Tishman, S. (2006) Thinking Routines: Establishing Patterns of Thinking in the Classroom. Paper prepared for the AERA Conference, April 2006.

Tishman, S., Perkins, D.N., and Jay, E. (1993) Teaching Thinking Dispositions: From Transmission to enculturation. Theory into Practice, 3, 147-153

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts