sporting ecosystem

sporting ecosystem

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Teaching Tool - Twitter in the class room


I have tried to challenge my delivery within the lecture theatre environment this year aiming to make it more dynamic and interactice.  Apart from the obvious use of youtube clips and interactive smart boards - I have found the use of PowerPoint Twitter Tools a welcome addition. The tool I have been using has been created using SAP BusinessObjects Xcelsius (but requiring only PowerPoint for Windows and Adobe Flash to run), SAP (2012) report that the twitter tools allow presenters to see and react to tweets in real-time, embedded directly within their presentations, either as a ticker or refreshable comment page.There are currently eight tools – you can easily cut and paste them into your own PowerPoint decks:

PowerPoint Twitter feedback slides
PowerPoint AutoTweet,
PowerPoint Twitter voting — bar charts and pie chart
PowerPoint Twitter ticker bar
PowerPoint Mood meter
PowerPoint Crowd meter
PowerPoint Zoom text
PowerPoint Twitter update bar

I have utilised the availabilty and functionality of smart phones by setting group work challenges, Q&A's,  or  debates within the lecture theater. The tools allow many to have a voice which for some is valuable as their ideas can be communicated if they are not confident to speak out. The tools will only work if you have an effective internet connection - I would test it out in class before using in front of the group.  Take care the groups were a little excited the first time they used the technology.

Reference
SAP (2012) http://www.sapweb20.com/blog/powerpoint-twitter-tools/ accessed 25th March 2012

1 comment:

  1. It sounds really great. I have to say this does sound a bit scary to me as I have never used twitter. I really need to use it and become familiar with it as it is so easy to get left behind in the technology stakes. If students engage well and get 'excited' as a tutor you have to bite the bullet, risk looking a bit out of your comfort zone to start with and just try it.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts